Kirkby Moor is a fast local race over rolling moorland: a mixture of heather, sheep tracks and sometimes the access tracks for the windmills. It’s not that high or steep, so a good race for beginners and road runners, but some parts are still quite hard going and the route is not marked, so navigation skills may be required on the moor in the November fog. The weather can be wintry too which makes full waterproof body cover a necessity.
The start is at outside the village hall at 11am, but registration is at Kirkby Community Centre, a bit further down the road, from about 9.30. Entry costs £5.00 for FRA members and £6 for non members. There is parking and bag storage at the Community Centre.
Prizes include the Bob Grieve Trophy for the male and female competitor with the fastest times across all four original Black Combe races (Black Combe, Caw, Dunnerdale and Kirkby Moor).
Beckside is near Kirkby in Furness on the road towards Ulverston. If you can’t park at the Community Centre, the only parking is on the main village road, so please park carefully and be considerate of residents.
- Date & time: Sat 26th November 2022 at 11:00
- Country: England
- Region: Lake District
- Category: BM
- Distance: 10.5 km / 6.5 miles
- Climb: 490m / 1608 ft
- Venue: Kirkby Community Centre, Beckside, LA17 7TG
- Grid reference: SD233823
- Skills: LK, NS
- Minimum age: 18
- No dogs on course
- Fee: FRA Member: £5, Non-Member: £6
- Entry on day: Yes
- Pre-entry: No
Full FRA kit required: waterproof jacket and bottoms with hood and taped seams, hat, gloves, map, compass, whistle.
- Race Organiser: Hazel Tayler
- Telephone: 07841350314, 01229 583456
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teams allowed: Yes, of 3.
- Male Record: 48:09, J.Atkinson, 1995
- Female Record: 54:01, A.Conway, 2014
- Junior races: No
- Permit / Insurance: Yes
- This race has a Permit and associated UK Athletics insurance from the FRA.
- Last race for the Bob Grieve Trophies. Male and female winners with the best overall time across Black Combe, Caw, Dunnerdale and Kirkby Moor.
- Start SD 2343 8229
- Winnow SD 248 832
- Cairn SD 2590 8392
- Wall Corner SD 258 831
- Shooting House Hill SD 2589 8179
- Gate SD 248 809
- Gate SD 248 809
- Fell gate SD 2440 8255
- Finish SD 2354 8229